The Resort

Nestled on the banks of crystal clear Boshkung Lake, adjacent to Buttermilk Falls, our cottage resort is enjoyed by groups, couples and families alike. Situated on a quiet bay our sandy beach is safe and clean with the cottages looking south with a big lake view. Our guests enjoy the free use of all non motorized watercraft. Children’s playground, volleyball court, camp fires and cottages with wood burning fireplaces all add to the ambiance. 

Resort Amenities

Your Hosts

Your Hosts & Owners

Megan & Stephen started visiting the region in 2000 and started coming to Buttermilk Falls Resort in 2005. As regular guests of the resort they fell in love with the location. 


Buttermilk Falls is a popular picnic spot that is famous for its beauty. Watch as the water plunges 70′ into Boshkung Lake below. At one point the falls were called the White Horse Rapids, they were also called Davis’ Rapids after a logger who dropped his jug of buttermilk into the water – leading, naturally, to the name we now know it by. 70′ of crashing white water once used to carry logs from William Cameron’s Halls Lake mill to Boshkung Lake. Buttermilk Falls has been home to a bowling alley, roller skating rink, dance hall, post office and general store. The post office closed in 1938 and the other buildings burned down in 1951. 

The Buena Vista Resort was first opened at Buttermilk Falls in the 1950s with 5 cabins (numbers 1-5). The cabins were a lot more basic than today and did not include hot water or a bathroom (there was a common shower room and latrine). Back then the resort was only open in the summer as none of the cottages had been winterized.

Over the years the cabins were upgraded to cottages with the addition of bathrooms, hot water and full kitchens. The cottages were also winterized to allow for winter getaways. The resort was renamed to Buttermilk Falls Resort as it is today. Various amenities were added including the dock, children’s playground, hot tubs, watercraft, large decks and bbq’s for each cottage.

The main house was originally intended to be a two storey mini-hotel called the Cascade Inn, featuring a common area, front deck and back courtyard, however the second floor was never built and the building settled into being a home for the proprietors, as it is today.

The Log Cabin cottages #6 and #7 were added and cottage #8 was relocated from another local site, but was never winterized. Most recently Log Cabin Cottage #9 was added to create an option for guests who would prefer a more quiet and private location.

Scroll to Top